Adverbs of Sequence

Description


Sequence adverbs are used to help describe a progression of events. Often used in recipes or instructions, sequence adverbs such as “first,” “then,” “next,” “after that,” and “finally” contain information about the order of actions and create natural transitions in writing. 

Shape


A comma is used after "first", "next", "then" and "finally" when they enter the phrase that describes the action. 

  • First ": for an action that occurs before others. We can also use "first" at the end of the sentence.
    • "I have a lot of work to do. First , I will make a cup of tea."
    • "I'll make a cup of tea first ."
  • Next " and " then " can both be used for an action that occurs after another action, but is usually used:
    • Next ": for an action that occurs immediately after another action, or as soon as possible. You can also use " next " at the end of the sentence.
      • "I went to Bolivia on holiday." Next, "I want to go to Brazil."
      • "I'm eating breakfast now. I'll clean the kitchen" next "."
    • Then ": for an action that occurs after another action if it is not immediate. You can use "and then" without a comma.
      • "Sarah is doing her degree. Then she wants to be a lawyer." 
        Sarah will probably not be a lawyer immediately after she gets her degree.
      • "They went shopping in the morning and then they went to the zoo." 
        We do not know if they went to the zoo immediately after they went shopping.
  • Finally ": for the action that occurs at the end, after another, or after a long time. You can use "finally" before the verb without a comma.
    • "I worked all evening. Finally , I went to bed at 11pm."
    • "I worked all evening and I finally went to bed at 11pm."
    • "After five years, I finally sold the house."
In the following picture we're going to see an example of adverbs of sequence:



I leave you a video with a conversation using adverbs of sequence:


Referencias web:

  • https://www.businessenglish.com/grammar/sequence-adverbs.html?lang=spa
  • http://smalltownenglish.com/grammar/item/118
  • https://aula.tareasplus.com/Joe-Saenz/Intermediate-English-Course/Sequence-adverbs

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

For/Since

Simple Past & Past Perfect Tense